Thursday, September 21, 2006

Mom's Iffy Memory

Lately, I’ve been upset because Mom’s memory has taken a downward turn and it’s difficult to both watch and deal with on a daily basis. But, it occurred to me this morning; her memory upsets me more than it does her. She gets depressed about things she remembers, not what she’s forgotten.

One other observation I want to share. Assume Mom will never call you, and if you hear from her, consider it a blessing. And assume when you call her, the call is probably forgotten as soon as you hang up the phone...same for the answering machine. She may remember, she may remember part of it, she may not remember at all.

Mom remembers all of you, but her brain rarely retains new information. If it's an idea or subject she's thought of, she's fine, and sometimes I wish she would forget things. She just doesn't retain what people say to her, but she enjoys hearing from everyone. I just don’t want you to be disappointed if she doesn’t have much to say.

Love,

Marsha

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home