Sunday, September 17, 2006

She keeps me on my toes!!!

What a week!!!

While I was in Maine, mom was upset because she ran out of Wet Ones. I bought five containers before I left and told her they had to be in her room someplace. I couldn't solve the mystery until last Saturday. She removed one container from the drawer and returned it to a different drawer. Mystery solved.

Monday - Wednesday went well. I was still sick from my sinus infection, and working, training three new student assistants...all freshmen, but Mom was calm and happy.

Then Thursday it all hit the fan. She got it in her mind, Judy was in town without seeing her. I told her that would never happen. After work, I took her for her hair appointment, and she was very upset. She hadn't heard from Judy and she couldn't find her pearl necklace. After hair and dinner, I spent forever on my head (with a sinus headache) checking each drawer, each bag, each purse, so on, and so on...no necklace.

Friday--they found the necklace stuffed in the toilet paper roll. Friday night, she's still upset and won't believe me when I tell her Judy isn't in town. We go to dinner and she's quiet, but eats all her dinner.

Saturday I called to see if she wants to go shopping and to lunch. She says yes, but won't get out of the car. She said she didn't feel well, had nightmares, and was tired. I invited Wyatt to lunch, thinking that would cheer her up...it didn't. She only ate a few bites and said maybe two sentences. She said she needed to get back and write to Judy. I ask if she wanted to call Judy, so she'll know she isn't in NC. She said no, she'd write when she got home. Sigh...

Sunday...thank goodness she was in a good mood. She loved Sunday School; Wyatt was with us when we picked her up and all was well with the world...or so I thought. She needs a new basket for her walker...so she said. Then admitted what she really wants a fancy walker. I explained why she could no longer use a walker with handbrakes...she walks behind the walker instead of inside, meaning she would fall on her face if her brain stalls when she needs to use the brake. With the walker she has, even is she falls forward the breaks will work. She said (softly) okay.

She ate an amazing dinner. BBQ chicken, green beans, peaches, blueberries, grapes, and potato salad...every bite, plus a piece of cheesecake! The kids were here for dinner, and I thought she was going to be okay about the walker...

I went ahead of her into her room to put her groceries away. She walked in and said she was practicing walking in. I asked walking in what and she said...her walker. I sighed. She forgets everything except when she gets something like that in her mind. This isn't going to be pretty, but it did get her mind off of Judy's imaginary trip to Durham. We tried everything known to mankind to get her to walk inside the walker...the therapist finally gave up...she can practice all she wants, but I know the moment she gets her fancy walker, she'll fall flat on her face. So it looks like she's going to be cranky for awhile.

In between trying cheer up Mom, Dave and I (mostly Dave) put new flooring in our second bedroom. Less than two days ago, we had all the furniture in the living room, and nothing in this room but a concrete floor. Tonight, I'm in our beautiful room and even have (fake) flowers beside the computer.

Like I said...what a week!!!

The highlight of the week: Wyatt spent the day with us. When he got out of the car, he came to us saying, "I'm so excited!"

Love and blessings!
Marsha

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home